Do you have any quirks? What is a quirk you ask?
A quirk is defined as:
noun: quirk; plural noun: quirks
1. a peculiar behavioral habit.
Now I know a lot of people associate quirks to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and yes I am sure that some of it can be linked to the disorder. But there is a difference in someones every day quirk and something that a person with OCD would do.
OCD is defined as:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a disorder of the brain and behavior. OCD causes severe anxiety in those affected. OCD involves both obsessions and compulsions that take a lot of time and get in the way of important activities the person values.
A lot of people do things a certain way, like maybe they want the toilet paper to come over the top of the roll instead of down the back. Or perhaps they organize things alphabetically. These are quirks if they do not interfere with their every day life.I have a diagnosis of OCD. I have both regular quirks and OCD ‘quirks’.
Some of my regular quirks are:
– toilet paper goes over
– tags cut off towels/face cloths/dish cloths etc
– sandwiches cut from top left corner to right bottom corner
But then there are things that I have to do because if I do not I feel anxious, shaky, it feels like my spine and limbs are tingly and I know something will go wrong if I don’t listen.
– I hate cupboard doors open, I feel sick (and I know how stupid that sounds) if I do not close them, and I only want one door opened at a time. If I am unloading the dishwasher one door at a time is open.
– Crows. I cross them out if I see them. If I see ten crows flying I will cross each one out. And if I ever ran over a crow I always feel like I would have to pull over my vehicle and stay there until the next day, so lets hope I never run one over.
– The premonitions are also a part of my OCD, though I had no idea until my doctor explained this for me. My premonitions are hard to explain. I have a hard time explaining them with words so I am not sure how I am going to explain them here. I will explain with examples. I have had them as long as I can remember, but when I was 13 that is the one I remember the most.
Here are some examples:
When I was 13 my father was in hospital dying. I had no idea at the time that he was going to die, no one prepared me in any way. They just talked as if he was going to come home and everything was going to be fine. The night before he died I came home from hospital with an aunt. I had a really big feeling that I had needed to go back, and I needed to do so now. I called my brother to get a ride back in with him…..they were already gone. My father died the next morning before I was able to see him again. If only I had listened to my premonition.
One day my husband and I were going to eat supper, my son was suppose to be home at 5 from playing with his friends. I had this feeling, the one I always get when this happens, I felt like I needed to go get him….. It was 5 and I said to my husband “I should go and pick him up” my husband said “No its okay let him play a little longer I am sure he will soon be home”. Inside me everything in my body was telling me to go get him. But instead I listened to my husband. We ate supper and just as I was clearing up we got a call that my son had broken his arm. If I had just listened to my premonition he would have been home and not broken his arm.
Then there are little times that happen. Stupid little things. Like I get a feeling I should go and move something – the feeling is so strong I cannot ignore it. If I do not move it (trust me I have tried, I have tried to ignore it) something terribly bad happens. Or that item ends up getting broken.
It always happens within hours of the premonition.
This is what OCD does to me.
Do you have quirks? What are some of your little quirks?
If you have a diagnosis of OCD what are some of the ways it affects you?