Okay so I read an article that kinda “got my knickers in a knot” so to speak. It is not really mental health related, but I still want to touch on the article/subject.
The article headlines:
Australian couple vows to divorce if same-sex marriage allowed
My first reaction was, “wtf, followed by smdh and another wtf”.
You can read the article here:
Now lets first get to a few of the highlights: This is taken directly from the article:
A Canberra couple have vowed to get a divorce, ending their “sacred” 10-year union, if Australia allows same-sex couples to legally marry.
Nick Jensen and his wife Sarah believe widening the definition of marriage to include same-sex couples threatens the sacred nature of the union and leaves the door open to polygamy.
They definitely do not want me to pick this apart……Christianity in the bible is a heck of a lot more fucked up than just one man and one woman type of marriage.
According to the Bible:
– Marriages must be of the same faith
– Not only should a wife be subordinate (Ephisians 5:22) but she must prove her virginity or she will be stoned to death (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
– Marriages should be arranged
– If a womans husband dies without having a son, she must marry his brother and have intercourse with him until they have a son (Mark 12: 18-27)
– Many of the “men of God” were not married but had at least one concubine (Abraham, Caleb, Solomon)
– God Frequently blessed polygamists (Esau, Jacob, Gideon, David, Solomon, BElshazzarr)
They could also sell their children as slaves, be put to death if they slept with their wives while they were unclean (Menstruating), and the many many other things they could be stoned to death for
The top 8 ways of marriage in the Bible are as follows:
Man and woman (Nuclear Family) Genesis 2:24
– Wives subordinate to their husbands
– Marriages generally arranged and not based on love
– Bride who could not prove virginity was stoned to death
Man and Brothers Widow (Levirate Marriage)
– widow who had not had a son was required to marry her brother in law
– Must submit sexually to her new husband
Man and wife and concubines
Rapist and his Victim (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)
– virgin who is raped must marry her rapist
– Rapist must pay victims father 50 shekels of silver for property lost
Man and woman and womans property (Genesis 16)
– Man could acquire his wives property including her slaves
Male soldier and prisoner of war (Numbers 31:1-18 and Deuteronomy 21: 11-14)
– Under command ever man woman and child were killed except virgin girls who are taken as spoils of war
– Wives must submit sexually too their new husbands / owners
Man and woman and woman etc (polygamy)
– Esau, David, Solomon etc etc etc
Male slave and Female Slave (Exodus 21:4)
– Slave owner could assign female slaves to his male slaves
– Female slaves must submit sexually to their new husbands
Okay on with my rant.
Mr Jensen told Fairfax Media that he and his wife entered into their marriage “as a fundamental order of creation, part of God’s intimate story for human history, man and woman, for the sake of children, faithful and for life”.
“And so, if later on in the year the state does go ahead and changes the definition of marriage and changes the terms of that contract then we can no longer partake in that new definition unfortunately,” he said.
Legalising same-sex marriage would undermine “our most sacred institution, and have serious consequences for children who would grow up without a mother or father,” Mr Jensen said.
They will split up their home and have their children grow up with separated parents just because they disagree with a decision that will benefit a hell of a lot more people than just THEM.
So this is where I personally stand:
(First I think they are just looking for attention and by getting everyone in an uproar they have gained more and more people to read what they have said, negative attention, after all is still attention.)
If it “may force you to divorce” than you do not deserve to be together anyway. Threatening to divorce because of same sex marriage is like threatening to not “be friends” because of something in the playground. Grow the fuck up.
There will be more happy people over the legalization of same-sex marriage than there will be sad people if you two divorce, so go for it…..your threat is just meaningless.
As for me and my husband we have a bond that would not be broken over something as stupid as disagreeing on a law that may or may not pass. (Crosses fingers that it does)